The comfrey plants I put in last year are now romping away and looking ready for their first hair cut. Perfect contenders to help me out in improving my strawberry soil and to help give me that bumper fruit crop I'm hankering after.
A quick once over with the slasher and I've cut down a good amount of leaf while still leaving enough on the plant to help it keep its strength up - first cut and all that, don't want to shock it too much.
Then to help them break down into the soil I gave them a good clipping with the shears. The smell through all this cutting was wonderful - the scent of lovely fresh leafy goodness. Specifically, it's the lovely, fresh potassium goodness that I'm after, which is of course the nutrient fruiting crops need lots of and is the nutrient comfrey is particularly good at accumulating in its leaves.
To see how well it works when used as a mulch, I've covered half the strawberry bed with comfrey (right side in photo above) and have left the other half without (left side in photo above). Seems a bit of a shame, I know, not to go for the whole thing and get potentially twice as many big strawberries, but I just have to keep reassuring myself its for the greater good. If it works, this test bed will let me know and then there will be many joyous years ahead in big strawberry heaven.