Monday 10 December 2018

Winter Salad from the Foraging Garden

This week, I'm joining in with the lovely Happy Acres Blog's 'Harvest Monday' feature and am sharing my morning's harvest with you. It's the beginning of my abundant free salad season - my perennial salad plants seem to be at their best from now through until the spring, so I'm looking forward to a season ahead with lots of fresh salad. I'm also feeling super chuffed at not having had to lift a finger to make that happen!

So for my lunch time salad today, I picked:

Some wild rocket from the flower bed. This plant is probably about five years old now and I thought it had had it actually. But as you can see, it's still soldiering on, even if it is a little long in the tooth!

It's just starting to pick up after I chopped all the flower heads off during the autumn, so this is the start of my rocket season. During the summer, I still use it a little, but it tends to get little holes nibbled into it from flea beetles, so I'm a bit selective about which visitors I feed it too! Over winter this isn't a problem. Today, I used this as the bulk ingredient.




Nearby, I still have a little milky bellflower in leaf, which is good and mild flavoured again now it's finished flowering.


I also picked a little sweet violet leaf from under my apple tree. This one tastes good, but is a little hairy. Not the texture you tend to think of when planning a salad! So I just put a little in and generally no-one notices.



My lamb's lettuce is just starting to come through. I bought seed for this maybe ten years ago now and since then I've never needed to sow it again - it appears in my vegetable beds (and some flower beds) each autumn and grows away until it flowers and goes to seed in the spring. At that point, I weed it all out to make room for vegetables, but so long as I let it seed, it always comes back in the autumn. This is a really good, mild salad leaf with lovely flavour and texture. A little later in the winter I should be able to use this as a bulk ingredient too. Right now I just have little bits to use, but it's well worth adding in nevertheless.


Also in the vegetable garden are a  few marigold plants, which are still flowering away well. I just use the petals, although you can eat the whole flower.


Over to the forest garden, I have some new salad plants - my saltbushes. These are related to quinoa and so are really mineral rich. And they really do taste salty! The leaves have a great texture and the flavour is really good too.


Lastly were some primrose flowers from under my silver birch tree.


We ate this for lunch with a simple honey, oil and vinegar dressing and some roast squash.



For more harvesting inspiration, head over to Happy Acres to see what else is coming out of the garden right now!

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It's such a nice idea to share harvests, so thanks for the opportunity!

      Delete
  2. Your perennial salad plants are such a good idea. I had no idea primrose flowers were edible, and they certainly look pretty on the salad. Our climate here is a bit too harsh for many things to survive the winter without protection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has been the best way I've found so far to grow winter salad without protection here - we're about zone 7 or 8. Annual salads just can't make it, so perennials are really working for me. Saying that, I've been amazed at how well lamb's lettuce does - even survived our freak super cold winter last year with thick snow cover and temperatures down to -15!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your salad is so interesting and chock full of unusual things. I had no idea bellflower and saltbush were edible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing salad selection, and I wouldn't have thought rocket could be perennial like that

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails